At our academy, equality is a key principle for treating all people the same. The Equality Act defines eight ‘Protected Characteristics’:
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
The Equality Act makes it illegal to discriminate against a person with a disability for a reason related to their disability. It is also illegal to have rules, policies or practices which apply to everyone but which may disadvantage people with disabilities. Our Trust is required to make reasonable adjustments to allow children with disabilities to fully take part in the activities. These requirements are derived from the Disability Discrimination Act-
Less Favourable Treatment
Children with disabilities are entitled not to be treated less favourably than non-disabled children for a reason relating to their disability, without reasonable justification.
Children with disabilities are entitled to have reasonable adjustments made with respect to admission arrangements or in provision of education and associated services, to prevent them being placed at a substantial disadvantage, unless the refusal to make those adjustments can be justified.
Promotion of Equality and Diversity
We believe that it is our responsibility to promote equality and diversity wider than the eight characteristics (areas) covered by legislation. We work to remove barriers and we will not unfairly discriminate on any grounds.
We do this by:
- Making appropriate changes to teaching resources to meet all needs.
- Accessing Local Authority Services e.g. Early Help, Learning Support and liaising with any other relevant external agencies whether LA or third sector.
- Supporting children’s emotional needs through a range of therapeutic programmes.
- Providing a curriculum, which promotes positive understanding of different characteristics, recognises the contribution that individuals and groups with protected characteristics make to society, and challenges stereotyping and discrimination.
- Monitoring and reviewing of this policy will take place annually and will be made accessible through the individual school websites or will be made available in an alternative format as requested.
Policy for equality and diversity can be accessed on the MLT website.