At Maltby Redwood Academy we teach children to read and spell by using the Read Write Inc approach to the teaching of phonics. Read Write Inc., developed by Ruth Miskin, provides a structured and systematic approach to teaching literacy. It is used by more than a quarter of the UK's primary schools and is designed to create fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 4 to 7 year-olds learning to read and write and for 7 and 8 year-olds needing to catch up quickly.
In Nursery, children ...
- ... learn the first 30 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception, children ...
- ... read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- ... take home Phonics storybooks to share
- ... read with fluency and expression
- ... learn to spell using known sounds
- ... write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- ... work well with a partner
By the end of Year 1, children ...
- ... are accurate and speedy readers and are ready to develop their reading fluency and prosody (expression and emphasis).
Children then stay on the RWI books until they are sufficiently fluent and accurate readers. Once, they are established readers, they are able to move on to the next level of more challenging books and are exposed to new and more complex vocabulary.
We believe that fluent, accurate readers have the best life chances and so reading is given elevated status at Redwood in order to meet our aim of every child an achiever.